Oyamel’s annual Day of the Dead festival is back. The festival starts today, Oct. 23, and runs through Sunday, Nov 5.
To kick off the festival, chef Jose Andres team at Oyamel is hosting an epic party filled with unlimited specialty cocktails, tequila and mezcal tasting stations, passed bites, whole animal roast, live music, sugar skull face painting, photo booth and more from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. this evening. Tickets to the party are $49 and available online.
Also starting today and through the end of the festival, Oyamel will feature a selection of special dishes and cocktails:
- Taco de pavo en escabeche rojo – House made corn tortillas filled with shredded turkey braised in a broth of sour orange and ancho chile served with fresno peppers and pickled red onions.
- Taco de conejo pastor Norteno – House made corn tortillas filled with shredded rabbit marinated in chile pequin and garlic served with salsa verde and house made crema.
- Caldo de Oso – Chihuahua style fish soup with ancho chile, Texas red fish, tomato, carrots potato and pickled jalapeno.
- Queso fundido con hongos – Wild mushrooms dressed in a habanero salsa with melted Chihuahua cheese flambeed with tequila and served with fresh hand-made tortillas.
- Codorniz asado con frijoles maneados Sonorenses – Adobo marinated grilled quail filled with house made chorizo over Sonoran style pinto bean sauce.
- Chile relleno con picadillo de calabaza – Roasted banana peppers filled with a vegetarian picadillo of spaghetti squash, acron squash, pecans and apples served with a tomato chile arbol salsa.
- Tisana de Juana – Mesquite infused Milagro Blanco, vanilla, lemon, piloncillo
- Manzi – Peloton de la Muerte mezcal, manzanilla sherry, chamomile, lemon, cardamom bitters
- Colombe – Tequila 123 Blanco, St Germain, grapefruit, lime, cinnamon, soda water
- Cosechas lo que Siembra – Siembra Azul Anejo, Siembra Metl Cenizo, Luxardo Maraschino, port, bitters
There will also be two special seated dinners that include five course tasting menus with cocktail pairings:
- Wednesday, Oct. 25 at 6:30 p.m. – Day of the Dead Boozy Punch Dinner: Honoring the original cocktail, punch, this five-course dinner will feature dishes from Oyamel’s special Day of the Dead Festival menu paired with unique punches each made with a different spirit.
- Tuesday, Oct. 31 at 6:30 p.m. – The Ultimate Halloween Night: What’s better than tricks and treats? Tequila and mezcal! Spend your Halloween, the night before Day of the Dead, at Oyamel to enjoy a five-course dinner featuring Day of the Dead festival special dishes and cocktails, including two cocktails available this evening only.
The Day of the Dead dinners are priced at $75 each and registration is available online.