The Union Market District is kicking off spring and celebrating its NE neighborhood’s diverse collection of businesses, both old and new, with a street fest on Saturday, April 7. The daylong event will feature food and activities from Union Market’s neighbors and partners including Trader Joe’s, Politics and Prose, Cotton & Reed, Masseria, Pluma, A. Litteri, Blue Bottle, DC United and more.
Bordered by New York Avenue, Florida Avenue and 6th Street NE, the free, family-friendly festival will be spread across the entire Union Market District, including venues 4th x Neal, Angelika, Dock 5, 4th x Morse Street and the Market itself.
From all-day live music at Neal Place to a pop-up bookshop by Politics & Prose and a bevy of food trucks lining Neal Place NE, the entire district, long known for attracting innovative retail as well as launching and scaling businesses, will be activated for a day of creativity and community.
World class chefs will be on hand for cooking tips while DC United players lead a youth workshop. Michelin-starred chef Nick Stefanelli will be selling breakfast sandwiches on Masseria’s patio and Instagram influencers Tamon George and Gary Williams of Creative Theory will take portrait photos in the historic alley of 4th x Neal. Meet under the Yoko Ono mural on 6th Street for spoken word poetry and dance off the winter blues with DC’s favorite DJ’s and live music.
The full schedule, including signature events, will be announced in the coming weeks. Here is a tentative line up of activities:
• Trader Joe’s: Outdoor flower market + recipe sampling station
• Politics and Prose: Story time + pop-up book sale
• Cotton & Reed with Coconut Club: Pig Roast Party
• Cut Seven: Free 60-minute boot camp class @ Dock 5 (9:30-11am)
• The Bruery: White Chocolate Cherry beer launch + chocolate pairing tasting
• Nalls Produce: Outdoor spring gardening market
• Creative Theory: Portrait installation + photo shoot @ the Gallery at 4th x Neal
• S3 Active: Daylong pop-up shop @ Dock 5
• Flywheel: Free 60-minute Flybarre class @ Dock 5 (1-2pm)
• Yoga with Nya: Free 60-minute vinyasa yoga with Nya Alemayhu (3-4pm)
• The Wing: Mobile truck + free coffee
• Masseria: Breakfast sandwiches + cocktails
• Spoken in Music: Live jazz performance on Neal Place
• Twenty20 Band: Performance on Neal Place
• DC United: Meet-and-greets with players + giveaways
• HUGE: Social and digital tips
• DC Scores: Soccer skills workshop for kids + spoken word poetry performances
• Expert Booth: Seek 60 second advice on anything from tech to business strategy to romance and more
• Brief Assembly: Shop a curated selection of home, beauty + fashion products at 4th x Neal
• Peruvian Brothers: Food truck on Neal Place
• Benjamin Gates: Duke Ellington graduate, live electric cello performance
• Wheatley Education Campus: Student music ensemble
• Hugh & Crye: Warehouse sale at 4th x Neal